Re: Throw Out Bearing

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Throw Out Bearing
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:00:19 -0400
sorry Kelvin ...if your reading this... but M*$$
(as well as other distributors) have been
known to simply say something isn't in stock
so they can sell off  other items they need to
get rid of in overstock inventory.

...from past threads on this subject.....
Some say the bearing is OK and the carbon
bushings fail to easily (cracked in shipping)

Some say the bushing is fine (as long as it
wasn't cracked during shipping.)

Some say the bearing, which sit on the shelves
in stock for years has a problem with the
grease drying out leading to early failure.

Personally I don't know anyone that has ever used the
bearing.... although that is what's in my 1500 Spitfire.
Both of my Midgets have the carbon donut bushing
and have never had a problem.

30+years ago... the bearing didn't exist for a Spridget
and I never had problems with a carbon donut.

My appraisal.... check other sources. Stick with the
original design unless you've gone with some 'high pressure'
clutch or something.  :-)

YMMV

Paul Tegler      ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com