Oversized wheels and tires

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oversized wheels and tires
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:15:16 EDT
Some of the threads about wheels and tires leads me to ask the list what
combination of wheels and tires you have been able to fit to a stock bugeye
sprite body.  I have experience with stock wheels on the stock body and
oversized wheels on flared fenders, but no first hand experience with bigger
wheels and tires in the stock wheel wells. I have seen some disasterous
attempts by others which I do not wish to reproduce.

For reference, I am thinking about the 5 inch alloys available from VB and 175
60 or 50 series tires, like the Yokohama AO32R. The ride height is stock, and
may in fact be higher in the rear due to replacement quarter eliptics which
seem to raise the car an inch or two above the stock height.  I do not want to
rub the fender wells, fender lips or the sides of the rear leaf springs.  I
await your collected wisdom.

Thanks

Bill E