Re: tight bolts

To: patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tight bolts
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:31:40 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/01 2:21:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:

> Does anyone have a good suggestion on how I can get a bolt loose.  It's not
> rusted or anything, in fact I had it out just a few months ago, but the
> boyfriend always "tightens them up a bit for me" but he's about 800 times
> stronger, and I can never get them loose again.
>
> And no smartass "don't let him do it anymore" comments!  That's already on
> the
> way!
>
> TIA (I think my transmission is leaking oil again, but I can't check it

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Depending on how accessible the bolt is, you can usually use a breaker bar.
It looks like a normal socket wrench, but it doesn't ratchet and it is
usually longer.  If you have a socket wrench, you can also get a short piece
of pipe that fits over the handle to make it longer and give you more
mechanical advantage.  (It's called a cheater bar.)  I always have a 1' pipe
in my boot.  (I bet THAT gets some comments!)

Sometimes you will need a flexible connector on the socket to get it in
there, but the breaker bar will still work.

You could also start going to the gym, instead of the Jim.

Remember, air impact wrenches are for LOOSENING bolts, not tightening them.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport