Re: Night Joyride (noLBC)

To: Ankitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Night Joyride (noLBC)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:11:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/2001 2:42:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Ankitterer@aol.com writes:

> Sure enough the tide was
> red, which causes the breakers to fluoresce in shades  of  white and  green
>
> like a neon sign.  We watched the show awhile, talked with some people who
> had never seen a Sprite or a red tide, and just generally  had a good
> time.
> Some of kids were down at the tideline letting the water get on their feet,
> which  is neat--the splashes are fluorescent too!!  No, I am not kidding
> you, and I don't have the scientific info at hand.  It's some kind of
> plankton.  It has no relation to their mating or birthing habits, as in the
> case of grunion.

Geez--that's neat Bob and Annice.  I havenever seen what is called a "red
tide" but when we visited Puerto Rico (want an aggressive driving experience.
. .try PR), we drove to Phosphorescent Bay on the south side of the Island.
We took a boat into the bay where the same plankton thrive inthe water.  If
you move your hand through the water, the little boogers light up around your
hand in the movement of the water.  Swimming, I hear is neat in it, as you
have the phosphorescence flickering all around your movement in the water.

--David C.