Re: FW: Argggg, first down time with my baby ... clutch issues

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, michael.graziano@csfb.com
Subject: Re: FW: Argggg, first down time with my baby ... clutch issues
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:33:28 EDT
Michael, I never saw this original message on the Spridgets list, but it
apparently was sent to a person called "spitfires".  What did you tell this
guy?

>From his story, it appears he put gear oil in the clutch master cylinder.  No
wonder it was thick and oily.  Does he think that it is a reservoir for the
transmission fluid?  I hope you set him straight and let him know what kind
of work he has to do to flush the clutch hydraulics.  I bet the pedal will be
a little sluggish until he gets it sorted out.

He also said that he "cleaned out some very dark, medium viscosity, gunk from
the inside of the cylinder.  This stuff look like very very dirty oil
deposits."  If there was old, thick brake fluid in the MC, you can be sure it
is all thru the clutch hydraulics.  Suggest to him that he rebuild the entire
system.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget