Re: inner wheel bearing/hub fit

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: inner wheel bearing/hub fit
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:00:43 -0400
Cc: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
One of the rare times I will disagree with Gerard (but only sorta).
Don't try to take up the slack with dimples.  The bearing races are
*hard* and they just aren't intended to be whacked hard enough to leave
a dimple.

However the adhesive route *is * the way I'd do it.  (Like I said, I'm
only sorta disagreeing.)  Permatex (http://www.permatex.com) has 3
products that could be suitable, depending on how loose things are:
Part No.  Name                                Spec.
20297     Bearing Mount for Worn Parts        Fills gaps to .020" in
diameter.
68040     Bearing Mount for Relaxed Fits      (Not listed, but
presumably between the other two)
60940     Bearing Mount for Close Fits        Slip fit up to .005"
diameter.

No financial interest, yadda, yadda...  Loctite makes similar products.
http://www.loctite.com

Chris K.

P.S.: "Relaxed Fits" seems like an oxymoron.  If you're having fits,
you're rarely relaxed.  Either that, or it's bearing mount for those
"loose cut" jeans, and in that case, I DON'T want to see the Technical
Data Sheet, thank you...