Re: Advice on pulling motor

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Advice on pulling motor
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:08:44 -0700
Once the front of the car is our of the way,(bonnet and radiator on the
bugeye) it isn't that tough a job.  I pulled mine out last weekend for a
clutch change and it took about 1.5 hours to get it out with the tranny
attached.

drain radiator, drain pan, drain tranny(not necessary if you unbolt the
drive shaft at the diff and wire the front U-joint to the tailpiece so that
the driveshaft comes out with the engine/tranny combo.  If you're not
messing with the tranny, it can stay this way and go right back into the car
as is.  Remember to cut off the wire after it is in.)  I leave the
distributor, oil filter,  manifold and alternator in place.  The carb/turbo
and exhaust outlet are removed.  In your case, the carbs/manifold and
exhaust would come off.

Remove the steering column bolt at the rack and pull the steering wheel back
until it clears the left motor mount.  I usually leave both mount attached
to the motor.  Unbolting the clutch slave can be done after the motor is
about halfway out much easier that doing it when still fully in the car.

That said, its pretty straightforward.  I prefer putting them in as a pair
and don't like to wrestle the motor into a mating with the tranny already in
the car.

I've used a cable winch attached to a reinforced garage rafter about 6 times
now with no problems.  I always do it alone.  as I winch up the engine, I
push the car back with my leg or foot.  If your garage isn't level, don't
try this.

For me the hardest part of the job is always putting the bonnet back on.
Gotta get one of those forward hinge kits.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)