Re: More Sandblast cabinet suggestions requested (the topicIwon't let

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: More Sandblast cabinet suggestions requested (the topicIwon't let die!...
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:58:37 -0700
Cc: DLancer7676@cs.com, guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk, kpdii@softhome.net, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Hi Frank,

Having worked in the glass industry for about 25 years, I'd say NO to the
tempered glass.
It looses its surface strength when it's hit with sand blast and is then much
more prone to
breaking, sometimes in a really spectacular manner!  Go for laminated glass,
it's cheaper
than tempered and won't explode on you when abused.

Tempered glass, whether done chemically or with heat, places the surface under
tension, much
like spokes on a bicycle rim.  Without the tight spokes, the rim is really
weak.  Glass,
when you allow a break in the surface tension, either by scratching or
abrading, gets really
weak and sometime will just spontaneously break.  Anyone have that happen on
their car glass
windows?

Save your eyes, wear safety glasses or hood also when working around abrasives
and high
pressures.  Sure, you have two of them, but let's keep them both functioning
properly.

Stepping down from the safety box, now!

Regards, Paul A