Intake leak (was rough running Midget)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Intake leak (was rough running Midget)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:17:15 -0400
A couple of days ago I posted a question about my Midget, it was
running rough and would sometimes backfire out the carbs.  It would
get better when I pulled out the choke.  The consensus was that I had
a big intake leak.

Tonight I took it apart to replace the intake manifold gasket and this
is what I found.  In the center bottom of the intake there are two
studs.  On each of these studs goes a clamp, sort of looks like a
wing.  My problem was two fold:

       1.  There was both a large and small clamp.  The small one is
       incorrect.  It cannot reach both the intake and exhaust
       manifold.
       2.  The large one was rotated about 40 degrees, so it was not
       touching the intake manifold.

The result of 1 and 2 was that the center bottom of the intake
manifold was not held tight against the head.  This is a 1500 Midget
with dual SU's, and a stock exhaust manifold.  Anyway that is what I
think is going on, I will know for sure when I put it all back
together and it runs fine.

The bummer is that I now have to get a long clamp.  I will have to
order it from Moss and hope it ships from the NJ warehouse.  If that
is the case it will be here on Friday (maybe).  That will allow me to get the
car back together in time for the MG's at Mercer.  Cutting it close. I
really wish there was a local place I could drive so I could get these
parts when I need them.  Moss is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from my
work.  Lets see a 2 hour and 50 minute lunch, that is really
stretching the limit.  Just hope it makes it to my door by Friday.

--
Later,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net

"Facts are the enemy of truth"