gnome B2

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: gnome B2
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:48:56 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/01 4:45:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, BillH@aaai.com
writes:

<< emarkable piece but didn't get a chance to hear one in action >>

When I was a kid in the mid 50's , the remains of  a  Gnome sat at a little
landing strip that's now known as Allaire Airport in Wall, NJ (still just a
little strip in a big sandpit....)  My grandfather was a WW1 aviator and he
took quite an interest in it. I remember him telling me that it was a lot
like the OX1 that he flew. The crankshaft was part of the airframe and the
cylinders spun around  with the prop and it had a nasty habit of rolling over
on rotation if one was not vigilant..much like the Skyraider with its
humongous prop and incredibly torquey 3350.  Mark C