RE: Question - Amy Soich

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Question - Amy Soich
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:46:45 -0500
Flemming,

I agree that profanity should not be used in a public forum. It
denigrates the whole process. I also agree that the list should not
be used to grind a personal axe. I don't see that that is the
situation here. With the exception of Ed and Amy, none of us has the
whole story on this issue. Amy may have honestly thought that she was
getting free parts from a parts vendor. Ed sure thought otherwise and
apparently can't get financial satisfaction from Amy. I don't see
that either should be asked to "take it off the list", even thought
it's ugly, but I'm willing to be shown why. I didn't see anything in
your post that tells me why they should be squelched, though.

The list has long found it acceptable to warn members of bad faith
practices of vendors. Given the amount of help and parts that move
back and forth on this list, many of us are both customers and
vendors at the same time. So, why shouldn't we be warned of poor
practices of either? Ed has written to the list at least one other
time about this (without profanity). I don't agree with Ed's delivery
in his recent post, but my recollection is that several weeks ago Ed
told the list that he couldn't get Amy to respond to messages. Are
you assuming that he has not attempted to contact her at all?

>In this case, I remember that a bunch of list subscribers went out of
>their ways, drove long distances and spent a weekend working on a
>(female) fellow spridget-list subscriber's car.
>
>Tough luck guys. A bunch of horny guys wanting to come to the rescue
>of a damsel-in-distress? In this case, someone who is a tattoo artist(*),
>with a husband, two kids, two dogs and mortgage payments on a new house.

The same people who helped Amy have gone long distances to help all
sorts of people with spridgets. The data don't support gender bias -
why do you bring it up, what's your point? My assumption is that the
participation of various listers in the "Help Amy" weekend were doing
it out of a genuine interest to help a fellow spridgeteer. Why would
you assume otherwise? To ascribe a maliciousness to their honest
intentions and motivations may be just as offensive to them and to
other listers as anything Ed has ever written. So, should you,
Flemming, be admonished to "take it off the list"? See how that works?

As for your description of Amy's family and financial situation, wow,
you've just described almost everyone on the list - she has a job,
she has a family, and she has a mortgage. Again, what is your point?
That she might have a debt problem? Don't we all if we let it get out
of hand?

>I am being very sarcastic here. If I had been closer to Latrobe, PA,
>I would probably have volunteered too.

The sarcasm clouds your message. As you can tell by my several
"What's your point?" queries, I'm not entirely clear what all your
points are here. The situation is touchy when one lister has a
problem with another. Does your assigning malicious intent to several
listers, whether sarcastically or not, help the situation or hurt it?
Again, what is your point?

>Are you certain that you had a clear understanding with this person
>about payment for your contributions?

Fair enough. Amy was looking for free parts. Getting parts from a
parts vendor and expecting not to pay for them...I guess it could
happen. Just like several listers may, out of the kindness of their
hearts, help another lister without expecting sexual favors in return.

>If there was no contract, either verbal or written, you may be out of
>luck. If you think you have a legal case, take it to a lawyer, or take
>it small-claims court, but please take it off the mailing list.

Why should he take it off the list? Because he might be wrong? Or
because he might be right and you're not comfortable with it? I don't
know who is right or wrong, but I'm not going to squelch either of
them, just like I'm not going to squelch your contributions. Most of
the time I can't decipher Ed's posts, and when I do, I don't like
some of them. But, just as I don't understand much of your post, and
I sure don't like much of I what I think I understand, I'm not
calling for you to clam up. I can disagree with you without telling
you to shut-up.

>Again, I think it would be more appropriate to try to contact this
>person off-list,

And if he has and still has not been answered? Again, I agree that
profanity is not appropriate in public forums. However, if a list
member has been done the dirty, is it not appropriate to tell the
list?

Jeff Boatright                __o\___             '65 Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu