Re: Compressor evaluation

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor evaluation
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:09:17 -0500
Mike,

You have 'learned' two things here. One get Winnie involved in your hobby
(women like to be in charge) so that she can handle the sharp tools and then
you can come to her help if she gets injuried :>).  You now know where the
nearest hospital/emergency room is located so no time will be wasted in
seeking help!

I picked up a used air compressor at a flea market, 5 hp - 125psi -twenty
five gallon type, for $40.00 (a fairly new Sears unit).  Compressor ran,
pumped air but wouldn't pump up to pressure.  The PO opinioned that he
thought the pressure regulator wasn't working.  Turned out that he or
someone had removed the drain valve on the bottom of the tank and never
replaced it!  A trip to the hardware store fixed that.  Anyway, the twenty
five gallon tank wasn't good for many applications so I added a fifty gallon
tank (an old oxy tank) in series with the twenty five tank and now I can use
my blasting cabinet without waiting for the compressor to catch up. Works
great on tools too, haven't tried it for spraying yet but it should work. I
took the output line from the twenty five gallon tank and ran it to a tee on
top of the fifty gallon tank and mounted the output line and valve to the
other end of the tee. Walla I now have a seventy five gallon air tank.  Now
I need to plumb the garage so I don't need 100' of hose!

Oil.  Use what the manufacture recommends, except I 'avoid' the 5w stuff and
use 10w - xxw. Have 176,000 on the S-10 without any problems. I use 10-40 in
all my american iron.

Biff