Re: Car Stereos and Spridgets

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Car Stereos and Spridgets
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:20:04 -0500
Can I tie the LF and LR speaker leads
> together, being sure to observe proper polarity. Will
> do the same with RF and RR Speaker leads making sure +
> and - do not cross.

DO NOT TIE THEM TOGETHER.  You will smoke the stereo in no time.  Just leave
the extra leads alone and make sure they are not able to short out on
anything.

> I querried a stereo installer at Best Buy with this
> same question and his response was and I quote, "Dude
> I don't know! Well I do know but I can't tell you
> other wise I might be liable if you hook it up wrong
> and it blows up. Now if you pay me to install the
> stereo I'll make sure it works ok but Dude I can't
> tell you anything."

Typical major retail chain know nothing salesman.  These guys are fun to
mess with when you already know the answers to your own questions :)  If you
are still concerned go to a REPUTABLE car audio shop in your area and get
their advice.  Most really good shops won't steer you in the wrong direction
or try to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need or want.

> How about it, tie both left channels togetheror go
> down to Radio Shack and try to find a 50 Watt 8 Ohm
> resistor which I know they don't carry.

Once again--NO!!!!!

> Also any ideas on a small set of speakers to mount
> under the dash? Thnaks in advance for the help.

When you say under the dash do you mean in the console?  If you really mean
under the dash the sound you hear will be very low due to aiming them
directly at the floor.  This means that all sound you do hear will be
off-axis and/or reflected of of the carpet.  How much do you want to spend
on the speakers?  I can recommend some great speakers that run $250-$350 per
pair for 6-1/2 mids with separate 1" tweeters and crossovers included.  I am
guessing you probably dont want to spend that kind of cash in your Midget
however.

Tad R.
Orlando, FL
69 MGC GT