Car Stereos and Spridgets

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Stereos and Spridgets
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:47:42 -0800 (PST)
A question for the electrical engineers on this list
and lets see how well you are still versed on Ohm's
law. I picked up a new stereo/CD player for Bugsy over
the weekend along with a pair of 6 x 9 speakers that
are now mounted in the rear. Car stereo is set up for
4 speakers. Can I tie the LF and LR speaker leads
together, being sure to observe proper polarity. Will
do the same with RF and RR Speaker leads making sure +
and - do not cross.

I know that its not a good thing to have speaker leads
with no load on them. In the old days doing that would
mean the car stereo going up in smoke. I gotta believe
that new car audio systems have some sort of smarts
built into their chips to protect against things like
that but I don't want to find out the hard way.

I querried a stereo installer at Best Buy with this
same question and his response was and I quote, "Dude
I don't know! Well I do know but I can't tell you
other wise I might be liable if you hook it up wrong
and it blows up. Now if you pay me to install the
stereo I'll make sure it works ok but Dude I can't
tell you anything."

How about it, tie both left channels togetheror go
down to Radio Shack and try to find a 50 Watt 8 Ohm
resistor which I know they don't carry.

Also any ideas on a small set of speakers to mount
under the dash? Thnaks in advance for the help.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH