Rear Brake Adjustment Question

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Brake Adjustment Question
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:49:23 -0500
Hey all.  Spent an hour yesterday working on the rear brakes of the Midget.
Yes, bad thumb and all.  Everything was in better shape than I thought it
would be.  Cylinders are OK, and so are the shoes.  I do, however, have a
question about the adjusters.  How far in should I adjust them? With the car
jacked up in the rear (stand under each side of the rear axle),  and freely
turning a rear wheel, should I get any resistance or hear any rubbing at
all?  Or do I adjust just to the point of rubbing, and back off a bit?

Also,  the emergency brake cable is adjusted as far out as it can, and yet
it won't hold the car on a mild incline (namely, my driveway).  Could it be
that the cable has stretched?  Or are the rear brakes just not adjusted
properly yet?  The seat of the pants method of testing tells me that the
rear brakes aren't working correctly yet.  Just doesn't feel right when
stopping.

Car is a '78 Midget.

Mike