Re: Rear Brake Adjustment Question

To: Michael Graziano <mgraziano@mindspring.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake Adjustment Question
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 09:12:09 -0800 (PST)
 MG,
One way to see if the cable is stretched is to pull the emergency brake handle
up three or four clicks. Tighten the adjusters until there is significant drag
(almost til you can't turn the wheels anymore).  If you ever read Barney
Gaylord's missive on brake shoe loads (sent to me by Peter C. a while ago), he
tells you that the front shoe actually doesn't see much load, and this
procedure will position the rear shoe even with the front one, and helps to
bias the two sides evenly.  From there, release the hand brake and check for
very slight drag on the wheel, then verify 3 or 4 clicks on the hand brake .
RS
  Michael Graziano <mgraziano@mindspring.com> wrote:
I do, however, have a
question about the adjusters. How far in should I adjust them?

Also, the emergency brake cable is adjusted as far out as it can, and yet
it won't hold the car on a mild incline (namely, my driveway). Could it be
that the cable has stretched? Or are the rear brakes just not adjusted
properly yet? The seat of the pants method of testing tells me that the
rear brakes aren't working correctly yet. Just doesn't feel right when
stopping.

Ron Soave

"When you're married you'll understand the importance of fresh produce"
- T. Soprano
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.