Undercoat and rust protection.

To: "spridgets@autox. team. net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Undercoat and rust protection.
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:08:01 -0600
OK. Now that were on the subject of musical instruments and bony
protuberances, how about something completely different?

I have a nekkid body shell and I want to know what to do about preserving
it. Sound deadening is secondary but not a bad thing as long as it doesn't
add "too much" of weight. (No, I don't know how much is too much, but given
the cost of some weight saving measures, it seems silly to slather 45lbs of
bitumenous glop all over the underside of my "new" car.)

We have cavity protection:
Products like Waxoyl http://www.waxoyl.com/en/produkte/120-4.htm
Waxoyl testimonial: http://hometown.aol.com/bgahc/jwhawaxoyl.html
and several Dinol products http://www.dinolus.com/vehicle1.htm

Then we have underbody and wheelarch protection:
Wurth SKS Stoneguard http://www.stoddard.com/miscspecials.html Second hand
reports indicate it's good.

Rocker Schutz - (3m Part# 3M08874) see
http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3867
Dries hard.  I have heard good things about this stuff. Overpaintable,
discreet.

Body Schutz -  Another 3m Product
http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3861
"rubberized" I have heard it may clog drain holes. Comes in several
varieties.

POR-15 (over sound metal) http://www.por15.com experiments with a sand
blaster show impressive abrasion resistance. Overpainting may be problematic
or require use of their "special" primer.

Again a bunch of Dinol products: http://www.dinolus.com/vehicle.htm
some hard, some soft some waxy some rubbery. Some are explicity
overpaintable, does that mean the others are not? Some are described as
having sound deadening characteristics.

Now that I know what some of the ads say, what about real-world experience?
What have people used and how did it hold up? what would you do differently?
Did you use something that goes over paint? under paint? over primer? bare
metal? I'm not concerned about an original look but of course I don't want
it to be grotesque.

Full-body powdercoating is pretty much out of the question.

The car will be a toy/autocross/joyrider subject to occaisional daily use.
It will NOT be babied. I live in Minnesota where some amount of last
winter's sand is always present and there are a lot of fun gravel roads.
Regular winter use is not planned. Sometimes however, a little sleighride is
too tempting.

What says the list?

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget