Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: "Leo Speichinger" <60bugeye@ev1.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:16:29 -0800
This thread about originality and concours restorations is quite
interesting.  I have yet to get involved with Spridget judging, but have
observed it with antique cars, and with World War II jeeps.  I think most of
the "attitude" coming from some concours participants derives from the
premises they work from:

  1)  There is only one version of "correct".

  2)  Based on 1) above, anything that differs from my car to your car means
one of us is "wrong".

I got quite a laugh one time listening to two "concours" jeep restorers
(yes, there is such a thing) interrogate an elderly gentleman who had worked
on the Ford production line building jeeps.  "What color is this part
supposed to be?", etcetera...  The old guy ended up telling them it depended
on what color was in the gun that day; the paint was for corrosion
protection, not judging.  Besides, he gently reminded them, we *were* trying
to win a war...  I could tell his answer really irritated them (See 1),
above).

I once met an old, old, man who had a nearly flawless UNRESTORED 1933 DeSoto
with about 30,000 original miles on it.  He was the original, and only,
owner.  I commented on how incredible it was, but he confessed that he had
someone paint on extra pinstripes in 1934, and was afraid he'd ruined the
value of the car...

-Rob R.
 1962 MarkII Sprite (1275 and disc brakes, but all the original parts are in
the shed...)