RE: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: "Rob Root" <root99@earthlink.net>, "Leo Speichinger" <60bugeye@ev1.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g14GGZu02501
Subject: RE: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 08:16:27 -0800
Rob wrote:
<<<I think most of the "attitude" coming from some concours participants
derives from the premises they work from:
  1)  There is only one version of "correct".
  2)  Based on 1) above, anything that differs from my car to your car
means
one of us is "wrong".>>>       And of course it's not them!!

I have been involved in judging SCCA Concours events here in NorCal for
the last 12 yrs and I wholeheartedly agree. We get "knowledgeable"
participants trashing other participant's cars, going into tirades when
you question something on their car, following you around looking over
your shoulder to see how you're scoring their car, follow you around
when judging another participants car, etc. because of this I'm
beginning to question why I do it and may not this year.

Even though I have never done a "ground-up" restoration I understand and
appreciate the time and effort that someone puts into one. When they
bring it to an event and some judge begins to "pick it apart" (not me, I
am more liberal than other judges) it can be very frustrating. We used
to be able to (only at the participant's request) go back after judging
to give them advice and offer things to improve. Most participants
welcomed this "constructive" criticism (they did request it after all)
but some did not and I believe some judges were overly harsh and now we
cannot talk to them at all about specifics.

It's gotten way to serious for me.

Herby
64 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy - patiently waiting)
62 MKII Sprite (the "resto-mod" driver)
billh@aaai.com
www.herbytoys.com