Pulled the engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Pulled the engine
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:28:50 -0800
I finally pulled the engine on my '60 bugeye, to replace the transmission
(which I've had sitting around for a year now) and rebuild the engine.

Compression was 140, 120, 120, 115 dry, 150; 140, 157, 125 wet.

The 157 really surprised me, is that unusually high?  Or are the rest all
that low?

The ring gear is pretty chipped.  Does this come separate from the
flywheel?  Moss seems to sell it that way...

I'd like to replace the distributor and upgrade to electronic ignition at
one time, but I only seem to be able to find a new distributor and then a
conversion kit to electronic ignition.  Does anyone know of an easier
(cheaper) way?

Any suggestions for "must-have" upgrades?  The car is already negative
ground.  I've replaced the oil filter with the spin-on adapter.  Upgrading
the engine/transmission, other than the current project of rebuilding the
engine, is out of the question, unfortunately.

Anyone have experience with wiring harnesses?  I'm thinking this might be
the right time to tackle this -- the insulation has frayed and caused a
couple of fires under the dash already.  I spliced in some new wire under
there for the worst parts, but I'm also leary of taking on the whole harness.

advTHANKSance

Chas Douglass