Re: Pulled the engine

To: Chas Douglass <cdouglas@oz.net>
Subject: Re: Pulled the engine
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 22:05:47 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Chas Douglass wrote:

> The ring gear is pretty chipped.  Does this come separate from the
> flywheel?  Moss seems to sell it that way...

Yes, chisel off the old one with a big hammer and good chisle, one sharp blow
should do it. Too many whacks with a hammer may dammage the flywheel. Freeze the
flywheel (ask the wife first about her freezer) freeze it overnight, heat the
ring
gear to "broil" or 600*f if your (wife's) oven goes that high. 20 minute broil
should do it.
Drop the ring gear on the chilled flywheel and make sure it is seated correctly,
you have about a minute to do it.

> I'd like to replace the distributor and upgrade to electronic ignition at
> one time, but I only seem to be able to find a new distributor and then a
> conversion kit to electronic ignition.  Does anyone know of an easier
> (cheaper) way?

Stick with points, easier, and cheaper (just my opinion after 2 electronic kits
in
2 years)

> Any suggestions for "must-have" upgrades?

Weber 45 DCOE, 5 speed gear box, LCB header, roller rockers, performance cam,
cross flow head, leather seats, CD player,
These are the MUST HAVES, now for the should haves....

> Anyone have experience with wiring harnesses?

Very simple to do, A book helps with tough stuff like the ignition/light switch
and the flasher, other than that, the rest is simple.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ