Re: Engine considerations

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine considerations
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:20:10 -0500
I had similar thoughts for my '72 Midget. However, after reading Mr Vizard,
I've pretty well decided that I'd rather do some mods to the original
engine. It doesn't take all that much to get 100 HP out of a 1275. Even 125
isn't terribly radical.

If you do decide on a swap, I think that a Mazada rotary would probably be
the way to go.

Here's a commentary on rotaries by Jacques Le Clainche from when I was
thinking of it:
======================================
If you decide to install a rotary engine in your Spridget- I would go for a
1984-1985 13B (rated as 1300 cc)from a RX7 first generation. Bullet proof
engines, light, relatively cheap to buy, easier and cheaper to rebuild than
later generations, and giving 135 HP stock. It is very easy to get more
power out of them without turbocharging... A 1979-1985 12A (rated as 1100
cc) would not be too bad either- that's what I have in my 1985 Mazda RX7.
100 BHP stock, another easy 20 or 30 BHP with a better exhaust,
carb/manifold and air filter... and they run best with the cheapest unleaded
fuel! My race car engine (stock) has zillion miles on it, still revs to
8,000 rpm with no problems, and all I have done to it in one year of racing
is change the oil and filters!.. By the way, my Sprite race car engine
(948cc overbored to 1018) cost a fortune, needs very high octane gas to run,
and cost a lot of money!... Won't last half as long as the rotary either -
but, heck, it revs just as high and does sound A LOT better than the rotary!

FWIW

<dnw>
1972 Midget
1998 Safari
1999 9-3
1964 (Me)
I enjoy long walks. Especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.