Ribcase Diagnosis Sought

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ribcase Diagnosis Sought
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:26:37 -0800
Esteemed Sprigdeteers,

Had my '62 Sprite with 1275 and recently amateur-rebuilt (by me) ribcase
tranny out for a drive on a rare sunny day in Seattle.  Man, it was great.

My ribcase exhibits one remaining problem, however.  When shifting from second
to third (after coming from first), often I cannot put the transmission in
third.  Doesn't grind, just won't let me go in.  If I briefly let out the
clutch between 2nd and third, however, I get a slight "clunk" and then it goes
into third just fine.

I know I posted this problem before and got several replies suggesting perhaps
I put in the detent balls/plungers wrong.  Maybe, but I was pretty careful...
One additional detail I learned on the latest drive: If I DOWNSHIFT from third
to 2nd, then I have no problem when the time comes to upshift from 2nd to
third.  In other words, the problem only occurs when shifting 2nd to third
immediately after being in first...

Any ideas?  In all other aspects, the tranny is great.  It is quiet, except
for the vintage whine in 1st, and the synchros are great...

Rob R.