Re: rear seal

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer), TALLA@TELUSPLANET.NET (ALEX VOLK)
Subject: Re: rear seal
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:58:06 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
au contraire Robert,

It does work (well mostly) if it is assembled properly and the engine is
adequately vented. I have built several that do not leak. The key is to
make sure that the half moon seal is properly installed and sealed, and
that the clearance of the rear main cap is not enlarged/ovaled from wear. I
learned the technique from an article penned by John Fowler entitled
"Spridget Maintenance and Improvement Hints". I have modified it somewhat
to further enhance my odds of success. If I can find where I stashed the
digital copy, I'll post the technique on my tech tips page. Maintaining
negative pressure in the crankcase with proper venting and vacuum
assistance seems to be crucial to success, but an engine with a lot of
blowby may still leak anyway. I don't have any experience with the
Minimania seal, but a friend who is a competent mechanic tried inatlling
one and it still leaked... not sure why.

Gerard

 One of the guys on the list