Re: Heat problems

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heat problems
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:44:55 -0400
I tried 3 different guages, 2 Smiths and 1 Jaeger, plus the little laser
handheld temp guage. All the guages and the laser read the same thing within
3 degrees of each other.
I do have the heater valve shutoff since it got so hot in the footwells. I
have insulated the footwells recently but never turned the valve back on.
I'll try this tomorrow.
I don't remember what plugs I'm running, my british car mechanic said these
were what I needed. He should know, right ?
As for an internal fan, all I have is the pressed tin OE one for the
948/1098 engines. I even tried running it without the OE fan, just the
electric one, no difference either way.
Coolant mixture is 50/50 water/anti-freeze, is this too rich?
Thermostat has been changed 3 times within the past 2 weeks.
The bugeye radiator shrouds are still in place.
The electric fan doesn't make any difference as far as blocking air. I put
it in because the engine was running around 200 degrees and it still runs
there with the fan in place, it just cools it off quicker after the engine
is stopped.
The highest I have seen the guage is 212. The radiator has been tested to 22
lbs. pressure with no leaks.
Timing has been checked by the above mechanic.
Looks like I'm in the market for a bigger water pump pulley and the plastic
"tropical" fan. Anyone have any available?

Dave
60 Bugeye