Driving the 78

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Driving the 78
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:02:44 -0400
My license tags showed up in the mail last Saturday. I got the insurance on it
yesterday and took it for a short drive. Went up to the bank and then down to
the grocery store. So far, so good. Stopped and tanked up with some fresh
premium to offset the old gas...

It runs very rough so I figure a tune-up is the next step. I have a friend who
restores LBCs for a living who said he'd tune it for $35. What a deal! Just
have to make an appointment and get it to him. He was telling me that the ZS
carb has an "O" ring that goes bad and causes the motor to load up at low RPM.
That is one of the things going on with mine. Can't wait to get it running
right.

My wife and I drove it to the restaurant tonight. Both of our kids work there
and were on duty tonight so we had to go harass them. After dinner, we decided
to try the Midget on the highway (since my wife had her cell phone with her
and I have towing insurance). We put about 20 miles on it and it actually
started to run better as we were just about home. Maybe the old gas is a major
part of the problem...

Driving impression: good, tight front end; good shocks all around; no nasty or
disturbing noises from anywhere; temperature stayed right in the middle of the
guage; might make a good daily driver!

Lots of little things to be done on it but so far I'm happy with it.
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget