Re: Timing and Temperature

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Timing and Temperature
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:53:27 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Yes.  Either way will make things run hotter.

Too far advanced and the engine is fighting itself (gases expanding
while piston is still trying to compress), and has to work harder to get
you going.
Too far retarded and the fuel/air mixture is still burning at the end of
the power stroke, which just creates waste heat.

However, since you don't mention the engine pinging like crazy, I'd bet
retarded.

Chris K.