Re: Mirrors

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, bpazur@excel.net
Subject: Re: Mirrors
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:17:20 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/13/02 1:40:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spritenut@Exit109.com writes:

> Neither! They look great but are not very functional.
> They will get knocked out of adjustment any (every) time someone walks
> past the car. You need a 2nd person to adjust them.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I have bullet wing mirrors on my '77 Midget.  Frank is right, they look
great, and they are a period accessory.  I had them on my '63 Alpine in 1967
and on my '67 TR4A in 1969.

They aren't the best for actual use because they are so small.  You can get
larger mirrors, but they don't look very good because they are out of
proportion.  Convex mirrors may help you see more, but everything will appear
smaller.

As far as knocking them out of alignment, there is a screw on the point of
the bullet (on bullet mirrors) that tightens the adjustment so they won't be
knocked out.  Just get bullet mirrors instead of flat ones.  Heck, you need
the aerodynamics anyway!  You can adjust them by yourself, but it is a lot of
in and out.  (Of the car!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget