Radiator Yet Again FILETIME=[1F5B07A0:01C24C96]

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "yahoogroups, midgetsprite" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Radiator Yet Again FILETIME=[1F5B07A0:01C24C96]
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:24:40 -0500
Ok, took a cruise in the 65 today. It was fine, stayed at 185* - 190*
for the majority of the drive. Went to town and got some needed items.
On the way back, sitting at lights, it went up to 200*, I was rushing
for Home Repo and as I was driving into the lot is was 210*. I shut it
down and went in for what I needed. I got out and got my buying done.
Back out to the car and took off, 190* for about 5 miles, I was running
70 and 75 mph. As I got close to the turnoff, it started to climb again.
By the time the timid morons were able to pull out into traffic, I was
at 205*. I was only 1 1/2 miles from home so I kept moving. By the time
I hit my street, I was at 212* so I shut it down and coasted to the
house. I have a serious problem.
I am at a loss so I go digging in my parts and fine a beaten but
serviceable 6 blade. I also have a non original but will fit down flow
radiator that once was in our 68 Sprite. I had broken out the drain bung
a while back trying to drain the radiator, but had repaired it and set
it back. Armed with different parts and a desire to be able to drive
this damned thing, I set to work. Once it was in, I let it sit and idle,
topped off the radiator, and off I went. Running around town, it will
sit at about 165*, this is at 35 mph. I came back to the house for my
wallet and was talking to a neighbor while the car sat and idled. When I
got back into it, it was at 185*, but once I got moving and had gone
about 4 blocks, it was at 165*. I ran it a bit longer, and for all
intents and porpoises, it seems that it will now run cooler. I never had
a problem with it in the 68, it always ran cool there as well. I changed
it back to original only when I broke the drain bung.
Now, the question, will a 948 - 1098 down flow radiator effectively cool
a 1275. My experience says NO!! What say the list, and if anyone says
yes, what did you do to make it work. Oh, and where do you live, if you
don't see Texas temps, that may be part of it..................
Brad