Re: sprite A arm fulcrums

To: JHa2297255@aol.com, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sprite A arm fulcrums
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 05:42:11 EST
In a message dated 10/31/02 11:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JHa2297255@aol.com writes:
> the tapered plug that holds the outer fulcrum in? any tricks to getting a
> stuck one out? one came out easy, ones stuck like mad. can i simply drill
> out
> or is it hardened? The uprights are trash anyway so drilling maybe ok?

Are you talking about the little pin with a flat side that slides down beside
the fulcrum?  Has a little nut on the bottom to hold it in?  Use a lot of
Busty or some other rust breaker, let it soak well.  Use a pin punch to punch
it out.  I'm not sure I would drill it out because the hole is shaped and if
you round it out the next pin may turn in the hole.   I don't think the pin
itself is hardened, so if all else fails it might be possible to use a
smaller drill to carefully drill down the center of the pin to remove some
material.  If it is that tight, I suspect you will find the fulcrum pin
itself even tighter and more of a b***h to get out.  But that will be a whole
new lever of beating and 4 letter words (and extra Guinness).

If you are going to replace the spindle anyway, maybe consider replacing the
lower A-arm with a rebuilt one and just send the whole thing in as your core
and let the rebuilders worry about it.

--DAvid C.