Re: sprite A arm fulcrums

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <JHa2297255@aol.com>
Subject: Re: sprite A arm fulcrums
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:26:47 -0500
ok, there are two things wich are difficult on a stubborn fulcrum
disassembly:
1: the little tapered lock pin tends to rust and sieze in place.  (it is a
tapered pin with one side flat(not perfectly round like most tapered pins)
and really does it's job well)  a drill a hammer and reasonable sized drift
will work to get the pin to either come loose or just plain destroyed
(drill).
2: the fulcrum gets siezed in the hole at the bottom of the king pin.  you
might end up cutting the fulcrum pin on either side of the king pin to get
the assembly apart.  that is a last resort!  first cut out the cork seals on
either side of the king pin and try heating the king pin and letting it cool
alternatly a few times to get it to expand and contract to release the rust
bond between the two parts .  on the last heating try to turn it out .
usually this works to free the bond between the two pieces.
then you are faced with the fun of discovery that the controll arm is badly
worn and the fulcrum"s replacement fits very sloppy.  if it fits snugly you
are lucky!  over the years  the words "lube, oil and filter" usually meant
oil change to our cars.   the grease fittings are located exactly where an
inexperienced mechanic would never look for them.   consequenntly the king
pin bushings, and fulcrum rearly if ever got greased.   of course this leads
to premature failure due to lack of lubrication.   (this does not even take
into consideration the universal joints getting regularly greased)
so probably the most frequently done repair on these cars is a front
suspension rebuild in my estimation (excluding the ever popular "lucas"
ground "search"...lol!)

chuck
"been there.....broke that......."   :)