Re: anealing copper gaskets

To: androbus@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anealing copper gaskets
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:02:41 EST
In a message dated 11/14/02 10:45:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
androbus@yahoo.com writes:

> my thoughts from memory is slow cool......you want to keep
> it soft and not brittle. oil quench makes it hard...am
> kinda fuzzy as I just came back home from the scholarship
> funding wine-tasting,(and the naysayers say Napa has the
> best wine....SONOMA COUNTY!!! YEAH!....hic!) ;-) ...but
> maybe water quench after all, it does soften....hmmmmmm...
> just not oil!  ;-0

I posted chuck's question to the shoptalk list.  (A wonderful list on
team.net!)  They agreed that slow cooling or water quenching makes no
difference.  Copper is work hardened and anneals (softens) when heated and
cooled.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget
'75 MG Midget (The Project)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (awaiting a new ECU!)