Collapsible Steering Column

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Collapsible Steering Column
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:17:39 -0800 (PST)
I recall a conversation a while back about pinning a
collapsible steering column so it cannot move off of
the pinion gear in the event the pinch bolt loosens
up. When I disconnect the pinch bolt, the column after
some amount of effort will retract almost 6" up into
the collapsible potion of the column. I'll assume this
is so you can get access to the pinion gear, motor
mounts, whatever up front on the driver's side. There
are two small holes drilled through the steering
column just about right underneath the air cleaners.
I'm told there are originally some sort of plastic
inserts, bolts, something goes in here to make sure
the lower portion of the steering column stays locked
down over the pinion gear even if the pinch bolt lets
loose.

So do I attempt to drill out these holes? Not sure I
can get a good angle to drill them out. Can I tap out
the plastic insert assuming of course I can get to it
to pound it out. How about the effect of putting a
metal bolt through there and making sure the steering
column still can collapse as designed in the event of
an unfortunate event occurs. Maybe a thin brass,
alunminum, or even a nylon bolt would be the trick
here.

Somehow I just have these recurring dreams about
hitting a big bump, pinch bolt lets loose, and
steering wheel no longer has anything to connect to.
Since I need to disconnect the steering shaft to get
at the D.S. Motor Mount I want to make sure this car
goes safely, possibly an oxymoron with a 50 year old
design, back togather. Thanks for the help and advice.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH