Re: Collapsible Steering Column

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Collapsible Steering Column
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:00:13 -0600
At 04:40 PM 11/21/2002, David Lieb wrote:
> > >I recall a conversation a while back about pinning a
> > >collapsible steering column so it cannot move off of
> > >the pinion gear in the event the pinch bolt loosens
> > >up.
>
>Actually, IIRC, the pinch bolt would have to come completely out before it
>would comme off of the pinion gear shaft. I can live with that.
>David Lieb
====
In the case of the harpoon column cars, the pinch bolt can wear enough so
that it no longer fills the groove in the pinion shaft, and the column will
pull out. The bolt doesn't pinch, but I'll tell you what, your cheeks sure
do pucker up a might.... right Frank? It's happened to us both, and likely
a few others.
         Peter C