RE: The Gun debate

To: <Ankitterer@aol.com>
Subject: RE: The Gun debate
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:51:33 +1100 tests=EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION,SPAM_PHRASE_00_01 version=2.43
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Annice and Bob wrote:

>In a message dated 11/23/02 12:01:30 PM, mikeg@vicnet.net.au writes:
>
><< Please don't keep regurgitating this misinformation. It is complete
cr*p.

>I had hoped you would say that.  Thought the Aussies were too smart to go
for
>disarmament of the general public.  Unfortunately, it is too easy to spread
>misinformation around the internet with no backlash should it be found out.
>
>[...]
>
>Annice & Bob

Ahh, things are not as simple as they seem. Perhaps I should explain the gun
laws
here a little better.

1) No private ownership of automatic or semi-automatic weapons

2) All gun owners must have a licence for up to 3 classes of gun a)
shotgun/rimfire
   b) centrefire c) pistol (1 licence, multiple endorsements). It is very
easy to get
   a licence for classes a) & b)

3) There are no restrictions on the number of guns you can own if you are
licenced
   for that class.

4) The serial numbers of all the weapons you own are recorded by the police

5) Guns must be secured in a gun case, and the ammo stored in seperate
lock-up
   storage.

6) To own a pistol, you must be in a pistol club (it is by far and away the
most
   restrictive class of guns)

7) Only a very small proportion of the population actually own guns.

8) most gun crimes are committed with stolen or unlicenced weapons although
the
   occasional licenced gun owner commits a violent crime with a registered
   gun.

9) We personally have a licence for shotguns and centrefire rifles, and have
2 rifles

So I may appear to be an anachronism to some, - a gun owner who doesn't have
an issue with gun registration, licences or restrictions on the
class of gun I can own. I pretty much support the notion that semi-automatic
and automatic weapons should be restricted. I also support that restrictions
on
handguns. There are many vocal gun owners who don't agree, but many others
feel the same way as I. I personally don't feel the need to own anything
other than
my bolt action rifle. I can shoot any game/vermin I want/need to so I am
happy
enough.

We are a democracy, *everyone* in Australia over the age of 18 votes the
government in or out, so if the majority of folks felt differently, the govt
would have been tossed out on its ear.

We have a society that is, in general, very safe - even in the large cities.
The rate of violent crime (gun or not) is very much lower than most other
places.
The general populace carrying concealed pistols is a totally foreign concept
for 99% of Australians. Most Australians would like to keep it that way.

OK, so the bad guys don't play by the rules, but they are a very very small
proportion of the population and most people will never directly have any
contact
with a violent crime.

Guns and the right to carry them, is not something that is integral to our
idea of freedom, identity or safety, which is why gun control here doesn't
cause such widespread distress as it does in the US.

Whilst our countries are very similar in many many ways, this is one area
we are quite different. Our attitude to welfare and medical care are other
examples.

So, in summary, I am not sure you can draw any real conclusions (relevant to
the US) from the Australian experience. However, I strongly object to those
who misrepresent the situation here to promote their own agenda - the email
that
claims significant negative effects from the banning of automatic and
semi-automatic
weapons is a misrepresentation - the various significant crime rates are
pretty
much unchanged so while it was arguably a waste of money, that is it.