junkyard report

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: junkyard report
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:06:26 -0800
I had an opportunity this last Saturday to travel down Hwy.99 through the
California central valley hitting every junkyard from Sacramento to Madera.
Huge disappointment.  Not one Sprite or Midget,  four Tr Spitfires of
various Mk's, and one totally rusted out Jag sedan of recent vintage.  I
eyeballed at least 500 or 600 cars, and didn't come home with one single
piece.  No Datsun 210s with gearbox still present.

The only interesting finds were a fiberglass bugeye bonnet with the
headlights in the wings, a very clapped out but complete Austin A40 and an
NSU Prinz.  The bugeye bonnet was a piece of junk, with multiple cracks,
much damage, and glasswork that would get a D -  in a highschool shop class.
The NSU Prinz was in great shape, a complete body with doors bonnet and boot
lids in place and intact.  However, no glass, and worse yet, no motor or
transmission.  If anyone out there has a functional set of NSU parts in a
rusted-out body, I've got a deal for you.  The Austin A-40 seemed to have a
good body, but no glass or interior.

After passing and staring at all these freeway-side wrecking yards for the
last 10 years it was a huge disappointment to find so little.  I always
thought I'd find at least a few gems in so many big yards.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)