Re: bugeye racing history-proper documentation?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bugeye racing history-proper documentation?
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:23:40 EST
In a message dated 1/3/03 10:12:15 AM, jleclainche@cox.net writes:

<<
I finally found a long-time SCCA offical who has lots of old San Diego
region SCCA newsletters- she is going through them and has already found
several mentions of my racing Bugeye... what is the "proper" procedure for
documenting the history of the car- should I content myself with listing
dates/venues/results, or should I get photocopies of the newsletters as
well? >>

Jaq:

Tis always better to have too much documentation than not enough.  The
photocopies (or at least some of them) will validate the lists.  It is to be
hoped that these archives are being kept in a secure place rather than
someone's garage.  Auto Museum would be a possibility.

On the trophies, I guess it makes a difference who you are.  One morning I
caught my teenage neighbor taking them out by the boxful.  They were old
surfing trophies, and he was and still is a champion--in his case, he was
simply making room for the new ones.  I had a hard time not rescuing them and
storing them in my garage.   We wouldn't walk away from any one of our car
trophies, but find the age for the skating, rabbit raising, and other kid
pursuits have sort of taken a back seat.  We also are less interested in
collecting pretty car trophies.  But they are all fun, and they look neat on
the shelf.  Heck, we have rallying trophies from 1960 and they are ours, but
rallying trophies are beginning to mean something again.  And some of the old
trophies have come apart and we let them go.

Don't think I could get excited about someone else's trophies, though.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"