Re: oil temp guage

To: <BCAH@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: oil temp guage
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:15:58 -0500
bob,
you are going to have a problem!  you need to determine what source you are
going to sense temperature at!  do you want to know the temperature of the
oil in the motor, the filter or oil returning to the engine?  seems trivial?
in ways yes but then again  no it is not!  the two most importaint things to
know about oil tempeature is how hotitis in the pan and how hot it is
returning to the engine if you are "cooling" the oil.    the most common
location to sense is a sender threaded into the oil pan!    i would
reccomend not sensing temp. at the banjo bolt.  that location is heavily
shrouded by steel wich is conducting heat from other sources.  you are not
going to be getting a true temperature reading.  sorta like installing a
usefull device that will not give usefull information.   if you are going to
invest the money, time and effort you should be seeking a readout of usefull
information?  seeking an easy location for the sender is not always going to
be the best location for a source of information.
if you ant some real excitement try moving the temp sensor in a verticle
flow rad. to the cylinder head.  you thought you knew how hotthe coolant was
and now it's even hotter!  sensing the rad temp is not as reliable as
sensing actual engine coolant temp!  (also if you have low coolant or loose
coolant the rad. location will "lie " to you and indicate after it's too
late....)

always more questions than answers.......?

chuck
been there.....broke that......spent way too much money fixing what i
thought i knew evrything about....and did not!  ....c.  :)
lessons in life that are hard learned are best remembered.