Re: smoothcase idea?

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: smoothcase idea?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:40:46 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jerry,

I have a '61 E-Type with the original Moss box that also suffers from
slow synchros.  I haven't tried this myself, but at least a couple of
people on the E-Type list have put Redline MTL (a synthetic) into their
gearboxes and have experienced noticable improvement.  It is not
immediate, they say, but comes after driving some time with the MTL.

I don't know why this is, but it seems to contradict Paul's notion that
the synchros get slower with synthetics.  I'm guessing that it might have
something to do with the fact that synthetic oils don't tend to be as
thick at lower temperatures.  You'll know what I mean if you've ever
dumped a quart of Mobil 1 into a valve cover versus a quart of Castrol
20w-50.  The Mobil 1 will literally fall out of the bottle while the
Castrol will glug slowly.

David Littlefield
1962 MGA MkII
1974 MG Midget vintage racecar