Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:31:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello DLancer7676,

Sunday, June 1, 2003, 7:24:26 AM, you wrote:

DLancer7676> While we are on the subject of bombers, just across the mountain
from me, in
DLancer7676> Middlesboro, Kentucky is the P-38 Glacier Girl.  I haven't been
over
DLancer7676> (45-minute drive on Rural highways) to see her yet, but she is one
of the fabled
DLancer7676> bombers that were forced to land in Greenland (I think) during the
2nd world war,
DLancer7676> and was found most recently under many feet of ice.

I'll pipe in now.  I have always had an interest in older planes.
Back when my wife had gone back to college and we were, shall you say,
running in the red, I paid more money than I should have to take a
ride in a B17 bomber.  You can see the plane called Aluminum Overcast
at http://www.b17.org/  It was worth every penny.  The things that
stuck out were:

      1.  The bombardier really is hung out front when flying.  That
      had to be an uncomfortable spot.
      2.  Those planes did not carry many bombs.
      3.  The belly gunner was always the smallest crew member.

All in all, it was a great day.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net

"The liver is evil, it must be punished"
77 Midget
02 Irish Terrier