Re: '69 Dashboard

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '69 Dashboard
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:25:51 -0700 (PDT)
The dash on my '69 Sprite was the same way so I yanked
it out. Since my wiring was total spaghetti it
couldn't get much worse. The most important thing is
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!! and think "ok, this is
a big job and doing it right will take patience and
forebearance and will be rewarding if done right" (he
says to himself)

The previous writer was exactly right, detailing
taking out the radio console first. I found it helpful
to take off everything that was not necessary. Off the
car. Keep protective clothing on at all times. I
removed all of the cables first. Then disconnected all
gauges. Labeling each wire, cable or tube. The hidden
nuts at the top are a pain in the posterior but I
found that, like most things, if I check the size of
the nut with a wrench or two several times before I
seriously attempt to remove them I can be assured that
it's not the wrench but the positioning of the nut
that is a problem.

After stripping the rotten material from my old dash,
filling a couple of holes with bondo and painting it
wrinkle black, I put it back in place to hold my
gauges and switches temporarily until I have time to
make an aluminum one. Obviously I am not a purist so
your mileage may vary.

best of luck, bill b.