Attaching hoist to engine

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Attaching hoist to engine
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:50:31 -0500
I spent Saturday pulling the engine out of my 72 Midget in order to replace
the clutch release bearing. Everything went relatively well, but I am not
very happy with my current options for attaching the hoist to the engine.
Having pulled too many small-block Chevy V8s out in the past, I really loved
and appreciated the tiltbar with the crank and the chains to bolt to the
block so as to be able to crank that thing around and snake it into that
engine compartment relatively cleanly. Unfortunately, the A-Series doesn't
seem to have much in the way of convenient attachment points.
I know that you can use the valve cover studs, but I am not comfortable with
subjecting them to the lateral stresses involved in tilting the engine.
I have contemplated getting a couple of nylon straps long enough to go under
the oil pan front and back and attach them to the tilt bar, but I figured I
would find out what the rest of you have come up with first.
No, I am not interested in hearing about how you just ask a couple of
friends over and lift it out with your bare hands. I want to know how you
have attached a tilt bar to an A-Series.
David Lieb
Wish all the sheetmetal on the front of my car came off in one piece...