Re: Electrical Questions

To: "Loud Sprite" <loudsprite@zexmedia.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:12:14 -0700
Al:
Midget wiring harnesses are much simpler than they seem.  The circuit that
you are having trouble with is the switched/fused accessory circuit.  All of
the items are fed with a Green wire, or Green with some secondary color
tracer stripe.  The culprit blowing your fuse is probably one of the bullet
connectors worked loose, allowing the exposed bullet connector to short out
to the body.  The brake light switch connectors, located in the engine
compartment are in that circuit, and would be where I would start.  Using a
jewelers screwdriver, just make sure that the connectors are pressed all the
way into the female connector.  You mentioned the fan switch as a concern,
but the switch is all plastic, so even if the switch doesn't work,  the
short would be between the switch and the fan motor itself.  The wire could
be worn through where it passes through the firewall, shorting out there, or
again, the bullet connector to the fan motor could be loose, shorting to the
body, or the fan motor could be seized, pulling too many amps.  I have a
spare fan switch, and a spare blower motor if you need either, that I would
sell reasonably priced.

When the prior owner converted to the alternator, all of the wiring to the
old voltage regulator is unnecessary.  Be careful to tape off all of the
brown wires left over, as if any of them are still hot, they are unfused,
and will burn up the wiring harness pronto.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget