Computer problem update

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com, dhedin@ieee.org, pythias@pacifier.com, pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, bugeye15@hotmail.com, jimdinalameda@hotmail.com, cciaffone@earthlink.net
Subject: Computer problem update
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:20:06 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses I got to my computer problems.  Here is an
update along with another and hopefully final question.

The new drive is running ok with W98 and I haven't lost any data and the new
CD-ROM (actually a DVD) runs fine.

The Motherboard won't support a harddrive bigger than 8.4GB and I couldn't
get the drive to format bigger than 2GB.  After all the hassle I have had I
decided that compared to the 850Mb of the old drive, which I can still use as
extra capacity I will leave things as they are.  So, thanks to all the offers
of
partition magic, especially Guy who is in the UK like myself.

The motherboard does take SIMMS (4 slots) and DIMMS (2 slots) so once I get
chance I will try and upgrade with a pair of big DIMMS.  I have realised though
that the age of the board and chip probably mean that within a couple of
years I ought to replace the whole base unit rather than put a lot of money
into
something which is getting old.

For reasons I don't understand the display isn't fantastic though I though I
had all the same video drivers installed as before (they came on a separate
disc).  Is this just a driver issue?

The worst problem is the MODEM.  The old drive and 95 was a sod to set up but
eventually worked like a dream on COM3.  Guess what, with the new drive and
98 the modem installed on COM 2 and refused to be detected.  AOL couldn't
detect it either.  I am not sure how to force it on to COM3.  So, I dug out my
old
slow and flaky modem and voila it installed on COM 3 straight up, detected ok
but runs slow and AOL chucks it out with annoying regularity.  The old and
fast modem is a PCI internal modem on slot 3 but slot 2 didn't help.  The very
old and slow flakey modem is an EISA internal modem which went in a slot that
does not appear to be numbered.  The only other thing I have in a slot is the
video card in the PCIA slot.  I think the mouse goes on COM1 from a special
COM1
serial slot with COM2 vacant.

What is the issue with the COM ports?  Is this a BIOS setting I ought to be
able to get around by re-addressing or some sort of jumper issue on the
motherboard?

Any other hints and tips most welcome.