Re: Computer problem update

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, w.gilroy@verizon.net, dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com, pythias@pacifier.com, pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, bugeye15@hotmail.com, jimdinalameda@hotmail.com, cciaffone@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Computer problem update
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:07:25 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 05:20 pm, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> The worst problem is the MODEM.  The old drive and 95 was a sod to set up
> but eventually worked like a dream on COM3.  Guess what, with the new drive
> and 98 the modem installed on COM 2 and refused to be detected.  AOL
> couldn't detect it either.  I am not sure how to force it on to COM3.  So,
> I dug out my old slow and flaky modem and voila it installed on COM 3
> straight up, detected ok but runs slow and AOL chucks it out with annoying
> regularity.  The old and fast modem is a PCI internal modem on slot 3 but
> slot 2 didn't help.  The very old and slow flakey modem is an EISA internal
> modem which went in a slot that does not appear to be numbered.  The only
> other thing I have in a slot is the video card in the PCIA slot.  I think
> the mouse goes on COM1 from a special COM1 serial slot with COM2 vacant.

Usually PCI modems come with a driver disk.  Do you still have it?
If you check the Win98 device manager "Unknown PCI device" should show
up when you have the PCI modem installed.  The long and short of it is you
need the original driver disk for the PCI modem. If you can't find it, try
looking for identification on the PCI modem and (using you old modem) go to
the manufacturers website and download the driver.

Many PCI modems are "softmodems" and are a completely different animal
compared to the ISA modems.  They actually use the host PC cpu to perform
proccessing.  In addition, they don't really occupy a physical COM port in
the traditional sense, the driver software creates a "virtual COM port"
usually just above the normal two "real" COM ports in the system.  So they
usually end up at COM3, COM5 etc..

Once you have the driver installed AOL should find the modem.