NOS Gear Box

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: NOS Gear Box
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:21:33 -0700
No, not that kind of gear box!  This is a gear reduction drive for the
back of the generator to drive the tach on my Bugeye.  I won an eBay
auction for a few dollars more than a M*** reproduction from India for
an NOS gear reduction drive!  It came in a Smiths green box in oil
paper.  The box is dated 1 July 1971 on the bottom.  Just as an
interesting side note, I took the thing apart to pack it with grease and
found a sticky rubber like sealant on the mating case surfaces.  I guess
you are just supposed to remove the lubricating screw and shoot some
lube in through a syringe type injector.  The sealant keeps the lube
inside.  I will have to find something to seal the case halves together
again.  BTW, the greae that was inside was in surpisingly good condition
for being 32 years old.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2