Re: Any Chebbie Mechanics? No LBC

To: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any Chebbie Mechanics? No LBC
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:44:08 -0500
Back in the days when I owned Chebbies, the calipers were single piston
clamshells which slid on its bolts (carefully greased each time I serviced
the brakes) with rubber boots to "protect" the bolts from freezing. I would
suspect that the movement of the caliper on these bolts might not be as free
as originally intended by the factory. Probably time for new bolts and
boots.

Alternately, the negative action of the pistons in GM calipers, as well as
the auto adjustment, is supposed to be caused by deflection of the
square-section ring on the caliper. Could just be time to rebuild the
caliper.

I remember my father and grand-uncle having fits with the front disks on a
VW squareback many years ago... just couldn't get the pads to retract
properly and wore out brake pads in a hurry. Seems that the factory intended
for the pads to be beat back into submission by the wheel moving on its
bearings and they had the wheel bearings too tight to allow this to happen.

David Lieb
No GMs any more, but I do have a VW...