Re: Oil filter conversion

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filter conversion
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
> "Lansing, Joseph G." wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if the oil filter conversion
> kit for modern screw-on filters is worth doing?

I had to change the one on my '69 Sprite because the
old one was beat to pieces and leaked no matter what I
did. I got one from Moss. Unfortunately, after I
spilled much oil, cussed more than I like, I found out
from them that they had changed suppliers and the new
supplier did not take into account the position of the
lower flange/flare/whatever at the bottom of the
enenginejust below the new filter base, and without
some machining or using extra thick gaskets between
said base and the engine, it will leak like an Iraqi
oil well. Second installation I used thicker gaskets
and it worked. Oh, almost forgot. The banjo bolt would
not fit through the fitting, so I had to drdremelhe
fitting out larger. Still has a minor seep, but I have
not gotten around to changing it. That's been from
about a year ago. Other than that it was no more
complicated than any other SpSpridgetrocedure. Be sure
to ask Moss if they have corrected those problems.

bill(always able to make an afternoon out of a 15
minute job:-)b.