Re: Horn rebuild

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horn rebuild
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:24:46 -0400
original horns huh?  okie-dokie here we go on this horizon!  most horns have
a type of resistor inside.  this keeps the set of contacts from burning up .
there are contacts wich open and close the circut of the electromagnet wich
energises the sounding of the horn.  in most cases the resistor has failed
and the horn is shorted out!   if you take apart the horn and find the
diaphram that resonates is damaged you are finished right there.  but if you
disassemble the horn and find it looks alright ?  more often than not you
can clip the wire to the resistor and it will work.    most horns  that i
have disassembled have the resistor failed before the electromagnet failed.
in restorations original equiptment is paramount!  if the original horn is
beyond repair you can always hide an aftermarket horn of any type up under
the front apron or in an inner fender some place out of harms way and out of
view.   you can even wire up the original horn or horns that do not work to
look original !   hmmm , that reminds me i need a horn on my bugeye!
anyone have a bugeye horn in their spares collection?  i'm also in the
market for a tach drive generator too(for my car).

chuck.
been there....broke that!