Re: Oh help! 1275 reassembly

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Oh help! 1275 reassembly
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:38:11 -0700
Cc: "Captain Rapture" <yup1275@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Glen,

There is a specification for the length of cork to remain standing
proud of the pan. They make these with with a bit of excess these
days (one size fits all), so I don't recommend using the full length.
Too little and it will leak, too much and it will leak too. I don't
use cork anymore at all. I either try to get the rubber seals David
is referring to or make my own rubber ones. From what I've seen, I
think a poor pan seal at the rear is as much or more to blame for
leaks as the rear scroll seal.

Grrard